Wednesday, January 27, 2016

"I moved it" v.s. "I copied it"

http://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/12515/HOW-TO-Select-the-right-answer-to-I-Moved-It-or-I-Copied-It-in-VMware-vSphere-ESXi.html

I Moved It - should be used only, when you are manually moving a virtual machine between datastores, which includes moving to a new host and different datastore.

I Copied It - should be used when you want to COPY or CLONE a virtual machine, and used on the network at the same time as the original virtual machine.

Now that you have read, and hopefully understand the difference between "I Moved It" or "I Copied It" selections, I'll answer the question raised at the beginning

I've selected Copied, and now all My IP addresses have changed! Why?

As we've seen above, selecting "I Copied It" changes the uuid.bios and uuid.location values, which will force and generate a new MAC address. If you have been using DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) to supply IP Addresses to your computers on your LAN, your virtual machine will receive a new IP Address, after this change.

I hope this article helps you to understand the difference between "I Moved It" or "I Copied It" when you have moved or copied a virtual machine.

No comments: